From   "Maarten Buis" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE:
Date   Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:02:33 +0200

The command is called -reshape-.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting adress:

+31 20 5986715

-----Original Message-----
From: []On Behalf Of buddyb
Sent: donderdag 22 juni 2006 16:59

Hello everyone,

I am running STATA 8.  I am not sure what this
procedure is called, but this is what I am trying to

For an example, I have 3 questions asking respondents
to rate how much they like various fruits (Orange,
Apple, Pear) on a scale of low med high.  So...I have
a data table similar to the following:

                Low        Medium       High
Q1. Orange

                Low        Medium       High
Q2. Apple

                Low        Medium       High
Q3. Pear

Now I would like to combine these 3 questions into a
new variable called Fruit that would look similar to:

Fruit         Low           Medium     High

Is this possible or does it make sense?

Do You Yahoo!?