From   "Scinicariello, Franco (ATSDR/OA/OD)" <fes6@CDC.GOV>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Mean workplace years of education
Date   Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:52:42 -0400

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of peter harper
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:29 PM
Subject: st: Mean workplace years of education

Dear Statalist
I am working on a cross-section dataset, with different firms and
different individuals. How would one generate a variable which would
provide mean workplace years of education:
which is based on percentage of the workforce in each of the k
occupations times average years of education for that occupation from
worker respondents.
(%OCCjk)*(Greek letter sigma eijk/nk)   k = 1, ..., 9
where eij is workers years of education, i is the individual and j is
the workplace and k is the occupation.
I generated this variable, call it Ej by egen before. But now I want to
run a workplace-level regression on the RHS. So I need to retreive the
mean workplace education from the employee dataset which was merged with
the employer dataset. Since I am only using the employer-level data now.

Can anyone tell me how I could create this variable mean workplace
education, Ej, using "collapse". That way I can retrieve that variable
and merge it with the employer data.
Many Thanks in advance