RE: st: SImple question on "describe"

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: SImple question on "describe"
Date   Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:01:51 +0100

This fires up -ds- just to get a varlist. -ds- is several
dozens of lines of code to interpret. Normally that is trivial, but
you can get there in one.

program ds_varlab
	version 8.2
	syntax varlist
	foreach var of local varlist {
		di "`var'" _col(36) `"`: variable label `var''"'
	}
end

I also used compound double quotes, for the odd occasion
when the variable label includes " " characters.

Philip Ryan

> oops... in my little example, the call to the program should,
> of course,
> be  ds_varlab  not   d_var.

> >In answer to your first question, perhaps:
> >
> >====== save this as ds_varlab.ado =========
> >program ds_varlab
> >quietly ds
> >foreach var of varlist `r(varlist)' {
> >di "`var'" _col(36) "`: variable label `var''"
> >}
> >end
> >=======================================
> >
> >. sysuse auto, clear
> >. d_var                                         <== make
> that ds_varlab !
> >
> >make                         Make and Model
> >price                        Price
> >mpg                          Mileage (mpg)
> >rep78                        Repair Record 1978
> >headroom                     Headroom (in.)
> >trunk                        Trunk space (cu. ft.)
> >weight                       Weight (lbs.)
> >length                       Length (in.)
> >turn                         Turn Circle (ft.)
> >displacement                 Displacement (cu. in.)
> >gear_ratio                   Gear Ratio
> >foreign                      Car type

Buddy