Re: st: problems with e(sample)

Subject   Re: st: problems with e(sample)
Date   Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:21:40 -0500

At 04:22 PM 6/16/2006, Zurab Sajaia wrote:
Hi all,

I ecountered a problem with disapearing e(sample) and couldn't find what can be wrong:

I have an eclass program, which sets leaves some ereturn parameters as well as setting e(sample)

program myprogram, eclass

ereturn post, esample(`touse')
ereturn local cmd="myprogram"

count if e(sample)
end // myprogram

When I run the program -count- within the program displays correct number but if I write
.count if e(sample) from command line, it returns 0. Somehow e(sample) gets cleared although other parameters, for example e(cmd) still contains "myprogram".
We might need to see a little more code here. Here is my version of myprogram.ado:

program myprogram, eclass
tempvar touse
gen `touse' = 1
ereturn post, esample(`touse')
ereturn local cmd="myprogram"
count if e(sample)
end

Here it is in action:

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. myprogram
74

. count if e(sample)
74

So, it seems to work fine for me. i also tried

gen `touse' = foreign

and that worked fine too, yielding counts of 22. So, I don't think there is an inherent problem, but something else in your code may be zapping things.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]