Re: st: RE: Quick Question on how to drop individual observations

Subject   Re: st: RE: Quick Question on how to drop individual observations
Date   Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:28:22 -0400

Your original query was ambiguous. The solution is now simpler:

bysort hhold rd: drop if _n==1 & _n<_N

will drop the first observation if there are duplicates on hhold and rd. If you only want to keep the last observation (in case there are triplets or more) then:

bysort hhold rd: keep if _n==_N

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "JEFFREY ROSEN" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: st: RE: Quick Question on how to drop individual observations

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, the code didn't work as I had hoped.

The dataset is drawn up as:

obs 1 hhold 1 rd 1
obs 2 hhold 1 rd 2
obs 3 hhold 1 rd 2
obs 4 hhold 1 rd 3

The code below will drop the observation where the hhold value and the rd value are the same. So in the above example, hhold = rd = 1 at observation 1. Observation 1 was dropped. What I would like is to drop observation 2 because in observation 2, the identifiers are the same as observation 3.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff Rosen