Re: st: RE: Modifying -irf graph- output

From   "Michael S. Hanson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Modifying -irf graph- output
Date   Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:24:29 -0400

 .

On Jun 15, 2006, at 6:34 PM, Scott Merryman wrote:

Regarding the legend options, a -legend()- option inside the -by()- will
alter its position, while a -legend()- option outside the -by()- will alter
its contents. For example:

irf graph irf, irf(test_irf) byopts(title(My Title) yrescale ///
xrescale note("") legend(pos(3) )) legend(stack col(1) ///
order(1 "95% CI" 2 "IRF") symx(*.5) size(vsmall)) xtitle("Year")
Thanks: I don't think I would have figured out to use the two separate -legend- options on my own. Is this documented somewhere that I simply missed?

Regarding the -xtitle- , are not all the titles the same in such a graph?
-xtitle- might have been a bad choice to illustrate this point. Alternatively, one might want to place -xlabel-s on each of the subplots, rather than just the final row as the default, for example. Or, more importantly, one might have different units of measurement for each of the variables in the (S)VAR, which would suggest different -ylabel-s by row. Such a case would occur in the Luktepohl data were an interest rate included in the VAR, for example.

To have individualized subtitles, I think you will have to create the graphs
individually and then combine them or perform surgery on varirf_graph.ado.
I suspected as much, but was hoping that some non-apparent (to me) set of options (such as the -legend- -legend- trick above) or an undocumented option might allow more control over the display of these subtitles. Oh well. Thanks once again for all your insight on this issue.

-- Mike

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/