Statalist The Stata Listserver

RE: st: RE: Problems in maximising a likelihood function

From   Deepankar Basu <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Problems in maximising a likelihood function
Date   Fri, 16 Jun 2006 01:07:56 -0400

There is a world of difference between scalars and temporary variables
(generated as -double-) at least in the context of -ml- estimation. As I
discovered the hard way, after several days of labour.

When I had first written the program there were several mistakes. I
corrected them over many iterations, with help and advice from
statlisters. But, I also changed my temporary variables to scalars, and
that was a disaster.

Because, when I had corrected everything else in the program, I was
still not getting convergence because of scalars. I had tried everything
and was almost on the verge of giving up; then it struck me as a passing
thought that maybe I should just try using temporary variables once
again. I did so and presto! There was convergence!

Moral of the story: never use scalars in -ml- estimation; use temporary
variables (if you need them) and generate them as -double-. And only as