st: ml step length

From   "Giovanni Vecchi" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: ml step length
Date   Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:37:43 +0200

Dear statalisters,

Can one control the step length in the ml command?

I have not been able to find any information on this in either the manuals
or the "Maximum Likelihood Estimation with Stata" book (3rd ed.) Step-length
is discussed, but there is not mention of the possibility of controlling it
so as to avoid possible overshooting (which I think may be the cause of
convergence failure in some work I am doing).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or references,

 - Giovanni

Giovanni VECCHI
Dipartimento di Economia e Istituzioni
Universit� di Roma "Tor Vergata"