RE: st: RE: LIML excluding exogenous variables from "first stage"?

Subject   RE: st: RE: LIML excluding exogenous variables from "first stage"?
Date   Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:18:03 +0100

Catherine,

Since X2 is exogenous in the equation to be estimated, then the answer
is yes, by definition.

>  2) What about using ivreg in that case? By default, ivreg
> would also use X2*Z (along with Z and X2) in the
> "instrumentalization" of T. Even if the "first stage" does
> not have to be well specified, this procedure increases
> dramatically my number of instruments and I am worried about
> having too many (weak) instruments.

ivreg and ivreg2 don't differ here; they both estimate standard
single-equation IV.  In both, the excluded instruments would be X2, Z
and X2*Z.  Excluding X2 from the first-stage regression is just like
going from a single-equation estimation framework to a system framework.
You can if you want to, and then you get the standard tradeoff of
efficiency vs. robustness.  As for weak instruments, going from 2->3
doesn't look like a dramatic increase, at least in this context.  The
literature on this focuses on problems caused by scores (or even
hundreds) of instruments.  You're a long way from there!

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes