st: RE: LIML excluding exogenous variables from "first stage"?

Subject   st: RE: LIML excluding exogenous variables from "first stage"?
Date   Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:33:27 +0100

Catherine,

This is a general IV issue that applies to 2SLS, LIML, GMM etc.  It also
comes up on the list fairly regularly; see, e.g.,

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-11/msg00123.html

and the FAQ on the Stata website,

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/ivreg.html

Basically, you probably don't want to do it.  Reverse causality in the
first stage is irrelevant to consistency of LIML (or 2SLS etc.).  These
are single equation estimators, and the first-stage equation (which you
are probably thinking of as a "second equation") does not have to be
well-specified in the same way that the main equation does.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes