Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Stata under Debian

From (Alan Riley)
Subject   Re: st: Stata under Debian
Date   Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:35:25 -0500

Brendan Halpin ( is having problems running
Stata 9 on a system with only GTK 2 on it:
> I've upgraded my installation of Debian, and xstata has ceased to
> work, with the following error:
> xstata: error while loading shared libraries:
> I've gotten around problems like this before by symlinking to the
> existing libraries, but this doesn't work now (GTK is now version 2.0,
> I think).

Stata 9 requires GTK 1.2.  GTK 2 and GTK 1.2 can coexist on the same
Unix system without conflicts.  Go to

and search for

to find the packages you need to install to add support for GTK 1.2 to
your system.  Or, you can go to

if you prefer to download and compile GTK 1.2 from source.