RE: st: RE: Frontier,stata 8 & stata 9

From   "Gauri Khanna" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: Frontier,stata 8 & stata 9
Date   Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:26:36 +0000

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your advice. I will look into the maximise options and see if it is possible to use another.

On the noconstant option, I wanted the option of not including it as for certain models it was not significant. I don't think that the stata versios is updated which might be part of the problem as you suggest.

Regards,

Gauri

From: "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: st: RE: Frontier,stata 8 & stata 9
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:17:32 -0500

Take a look at -help maximize-.

"technique(algorithm_spec) (ml-programmed estimators only) specifies how the
likelihood function is to be maximized. The following algorithms are
currently implemented in ml. For details, see Maximum Likelihood Estimation
with Stata, 2nd edition (Gould, Pitblado, and Sribney 2003).

technique(nr) specifies Stata's modified Newton-Raphson (NR) algorithm.

technique(bhhh) specifies the Berndt-Hall-Hall-Hausman (BHHH) algorithm.

technique(dfp) specifies Davidon-Fletcher-Powell (DFP) algorithm.

technique(bfgs) specifies the Broyden-Fletcher-Goldfarb-Shanno (BFGS)
algorithm.

The default is technique(nr)...."

In couple examples I have tried, it take much longer to converge when the
constant is excluded from -uhet()-. Are there strong reasons for excluding
it?

> I guess you do not know have an answer for the stata 8 question where i
> get
> a "invalid noconstant" response to my equation:
>
> frontier logoutput logcorarea loglabour logmanure logfertiliserval
> logtrac
> logox logirrigation cropdum, uhet(experience age corarea, noconstant).

I no longer have Stata 8.2 installed and the noconstant option works fine in
version 9.2. Is your Stata fully updated?

Scott

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/