Re: st: Contextual analysis

From   Sebastian Baumeister <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Contextual analysis
Date   Fri, 09 Jun 2006 08:38:13 +0200

Hi Fernando,

you take a look at this book: Rabe-Hesketh, S. and Skrondal: /Multilevel and Longitudinal Modeling Using Stata/. College Station, TX: Stata
and read this website
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/Library/cpsu.htm

Regards,
Sebastian

Fernando Augusto Proietti schrieb:

Dear all,

I am an epidemiologist, with some knowledge and training in biostatistics. I have a dataset, from a health survey we conducted. There are about 20,000 participants. Participants are nested in what could be called in the US as census tracts.

Right now, I am planning a Contextual analysis (the dependent variable = Self-rated Health, 3 levels) and the explanatory variables measured at two levels:

Individual level: for example, age, sex, personal income, formal education

Aggregated level (Census tracts characteristics where participants are nested): for example, Average Income, Average Age, % of roads that have sidewalks.

How could I conduct analysis of this type in Stata ?

I am worried with what some authors report as " the residual correlation between outcomes within groups that may persist after accounting for individual-level and group-level variables included in the analysis" (For example: Kawachi I, Berkman L. Neighborhood and health. Chapter 3: The examination of neighborhood effects on health: conceptual and methodological issues related to the presence of multiple levels of organization. Oxford University Press,. 2003)

Thanks in advance,

Fernando A Proietti
*
* For searches and help try: