st: RE: RE: RE: ACE algorithm in STATA ?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: ACE algorithm in STATA ?
Date   Thu, 8 Jun 2006 23:34:50 +0100

You are correct that we quote this paper in the
on-line help and again in the paper in Stata Journal
5(3), 2005. But there is no relevance beyond what
is mentioned, a reference to the guaranteed convergence of
the backfitting algorithm. In particular, -mrunning-
is not an implementation of ACE as defined by Breiman
and Friedman. It does no transformations,
and it does no search for transformations. It is
a smoothing program, rather than a regression program in
the classical sense. It is thus not accurate to say
that -mrunning- is "based on" Breiman and Friedman's
paper. (I would have said Yes to your original question
otherwise.)

Lei Xuan

> Hi Nick,
>
> I noticed that -mrunning- was implemented by Patrick Royston
> and you, based
> on Breiman and Friedman's paper. How is -mrunning- relevant to ACE
> algorithm?

Nick Cox

> . findit alternating conditional expectations
>
> indicates that the answer is no so far as Stata
> is concerned, and my memory is consistent with
> that. But a single counter-example would refute
> it.

Lei Xuan