Re: st: Modifying a graphics command: problem with nested suboptions

Subject   Re: st: Modifying a graphics command: problem with nested suboptions
Date   Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:14:49 -0400

Eva Poen --
Interesting question, and I'm not sure of the answer.  Without testing
a lot of possible solutions, my first instinct would be to make the
by() option a string, i.e.
 syntax varlist(min=2 max=2) [if] [in] [, BY(str) *]
and parse the string in `by' with a lot of traps for errors (most of
which you could copy from official Stata .ado files, traps that is,
not errors).

You could also write a subroutine (another program in your .ado file)
that would validate what is in `by' via another syntax command, but
that seems less straightforward to me.

You might want to consider adding support for weights
(I assume a call to -collapse- is the workhorse here,
followed by a call to -tw bar-, and -collapse- supports weights).