RE: st: Outreg: sign of t-statistics

Subject   RE: st: Outreg: sign of t-statistics
Date   Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:23:36 -0500

At 03:32 PM 6/7/2006, Alex Ogan wrote:
Can anyone comment on the relative merits of outreg2 and estout, for the
benefit of those who don't want to install and experiment with both?

Alex
This post by Steve Stillman back on Sept. 14 2005 laid out the case for outreg and for updating it to outreg2:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-09/msg00391.html

As I understand it, it is basically ease of use versus power. My typical table has columns for model 1, model 2, model 3, etc. I have the coefficients, standard errors, and a few summary stats. With outreg2, I can generate that table quickly and easily and save it in Word format. Given that, to date, outreg2 has met my needs, I haven't looked at estout very closely.

But, if your needs are more complicated than that, estout has zillions of options. It also can be used with the companion packages estadd and estadd_plus, which allow you to include additional statistics. (But perhaps those routines could also be used with outreg2?)

I suppose if I were forced to use only one, I would go with estout because of the power. But, it took me the better part of 5 or 10 minutes to figure out how to get outreg2 to generate the basic tables I wanted, so it isn't like it requires a huge investment to check it out.

In any event, both are great programs! And I am grateful to the authors for providing them. The fact that outreg continues to get more downloads than either of them is mostly just due to inertia and fame, I suspect. People see outreg mentioned somewhere so they download it, without knowing better options are available.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]