Re: st: svyset question

From   David Bell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: svyset question
Date   Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:47:54 -0400

Thank you, Roberto, for that very educational reply. I have had a similar consternation to Deborah's, although I'm not sure it is for the same reason.

What is the difference in your example, Roberto, if the clusters are of different sizes or if the number of observations within each cluster is variable essentially (or arguably) at random?

Stata seems to be in computing variances so that the confidence intervals around point estimates can be estimated for the population. This would be quite important if I were a pollster, but I'm seldom really interested in population estimates for variables. In the causal models that concern me, I don't want the 5 members of cluster 1 to have 5 times the weight as the single member of cluster 2. I'm looking to use the design specification to adjust for these kinds of weighting issues.

Your example with exactly 2 observations in each cluster is not relevant for this issue because it assumes that because clusters are sampled with replacement and equal probability, then each subsample must have equal probability. But in the uneven cluster size case, the subsamples do not seem to be in fact equally probable. It was (in my case) that I was trying to specify a second stage in order to notify Stata of the overweighting of observations in larger clusters. When Stata informed me that my second stage sampling design was unimportant, I felt like I was back in the SPSS days

My memory of using SAS for clustered regression is that it was willing to let me specify a second stage design even if the first stage was sampled with equal (or unspecified) probability.

Dave Bell