Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: transformations in commands

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <>
To   "statalist" <>
Subject   st: transformations in commands
Date   Fri, 2 Jun 2006 09:58:07 -0500

Hi  - I have been demonstrating the wonders of Stata to users of R and
have been embarrassed by their criticism of  Stata's inability to
transform a variable within the syntax of a command. For example reg y
log(x) won't work. The variable z=log(x) must be generated first. I'm
curious as to whether other statistical software besides R allows this
sort of thing. At any rate, I would strongly urge Stata Corp. to
incorporate this sort flexibility.

Al Feiveson