st: Re: RE: RE: "Crude" Random Effects Estimates

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: RE: "Crude" Random Effects Estimates
Date   Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:55:12 -0400

Dear Mark,

I found this paper long time ago when I was working with the Hausman-Taylor
estimator (HT) -a topic that we discussed early in the list. The new thing
in the paper is that they propose an non-IV estimator, called Fixed-Effects
Vector Decomposition (VD) -nice name right? Moreover, they compare their
results with HT finding evidence against HT. I did some Monte-Carlo
experiments -cheap and fast- and VD looks to be stronger under different
settings: high and low correlation between instruments and instrumented,
different n or T, etc.

The estimator proposed is LS (not a BE), where they used and 'orthogonal'
proxy of the unobservable. Then steps 1 and 2 are computed to get this
orthogonal proxy of the unobservable. (1) is the classical -and fair- FE
step that allows us to get the coefficients for time-variant variables,
probably (2) is the weird step, where you compute the coefficients without
instruments. But the procedure uses the residual, which but construction
will be orthogonal. With this proxy the put it into LS regression
controlling for the lost of degree of freedom.

I used the ado-file created by the authors of the papers in an empirical
application, comparing FE, RE, HT, Amemiya-Macurdy (AM) and VD. I found no
big differences in the estimated coefficients, but a very small standard
errors using VD, even smaller than FE!! Std errors for FE, RE, HT and AM are
in some sense very close to each other. In other word, I didn't have any
change in significance for FE, RE, HT and AM. Maybe you can help here.

Rodrigo.
PS: I didn't understand the joke 0.02.