Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Accessing the path and filename of currently open logfile.

From   "David Elliott" <>
Subject   st: Accessing the path and filename of currently open logfile.
Date   Tue, 30 May 2006 09:49:53 -0300

I'd like to test to see if (1) a  logfile is open and (2) capture its name.
The logfile name does not seem to be part of the creturn c() system
values although the currently used file name -c(filename) - and pwd
-c(pwd) are available.

Is there an equivalent to mata's pathsplit(path,path1,path2) command
which would be very useful for filename handling?  I have found the
undocumented _getfilename which is useful for popping the filename off
the end of a path/filename string and one can then do a bit of
manipulation to get the path, filename and extension for further

Currently I have the following which will do the job:

 // Get the filename, path and extension for the log file.
quietly log
local log = r(filename)
if "`log'" != "." {
   _getfilename "`log'"
   local logfile =  r(filename)
   local logpath = subinstr(substr("`log'",1,
   gettoken nameonly extonly: logfile, parse(".")
   local logstem "`logpath'""`nameonly'"
   local extonly = substr(`"`extonly'"',2,.)
   di in gr "`logpath'" in ye "`nameonly'" in gr "." in white "`extonly'"
else {
	di in red "No logfile open"
// end excerpt

The other question I have is whether there is a way for -syntax- to
handle command lines in the form: -cmd1, options: cmd2, options- or is
it always necessary to nibble the command line apart with gettoken, or
at least to get the left and right halves into a form for syntax to
handle.  If not obvious already, I am trying to create a "wrapper" for
another command(s).  If one didn't want the wrapper command to have
options, one could simply use -cmd1 cmd2,options- that could be parsed
by syntax.  It is the need to have the ",options" and the ":"
separator following cmd1 that causes the difficulties.

This is my first foray into writing this kind of ado and I'd
appreciate any insights or cautions from the pros.  Thanks.

David Elliott