RE: st: GMM

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: GMM
Date   Sun, 28 May 2006 23:07:04 +0100

But from a practical point of view, try them and compare the
coefficients and their significance levels. If they all producde similar
results, it won't probably not matter a lot which command you finally
use

Justina

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Janine
Darfield
Sent: 28 May 2006 22:34
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: GMM

Hi,

I posted the following question last week but didn't get any replies, I
am trying again in case anyone can help. Basically I am trying to do GMM
analysis in STATA and am trying to understand the difference between
- xtabond/xtabond2;
- ivreg, gmm / xtivreg, gmm; and
- ivgmm0

Is there any guidance as to under what circumstances one such method is
better than the other? How (if at
all) could one get equivalent results with all 3 methods? I realise this
might be a broad question but even if someone could help with part of it
I would appreciate it a lot.

(I have already read the help files as well as the paper by Baum
Schaffer and Stillman, and Stephen Bond's paper on Dynamic Panel Data
Models; but am still confused on this point.)

Thanks in advance,
Janine

--- Janine Darfield <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to do some GMM estimation on panel data (which has about 700
> companies and about 40 quarters). I have found 3 stata commands for
> doing GMM:
> xtabond/xtabond2; ivreg, gmm / xtivreg, gmm; and ivgmm0 (I hope I am
> correct that these are all ways of estimating with GMM). Can anyone
> tell me what the difference between the 3 methods is and which of
> these is the "best" to use? And is there a way of getting an
> equivalent result in these 3 methods (for example what would be an
> equivalent specification, if any?)
>
> I would be terribly grateful for any guidance as I have tried to read
> the help files and other literature but am still very confused about
> this.
>
> Janine

> All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity
> and ease of use." - PC Magazine
> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html

Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to
use" - The Wall Street Journal
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html