Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: Parameter restrictions in MLE

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Parameter restrictions in MLE
Date   Fri, 26 May 2006 10:22:42 +0100

I don't know about "best", particularly in general.

But one way to do it is to parameterise in terms
of e.g. a, b, 1 - (a + b). If you are lucky this
will be enough.

You could still have problems if the algorithm
is happiest at e.g. a = 1.1, b = -0.9, c = 0.8.

Deepankar Basu