Re: st: Metan for Stata 9?

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Metan for Stata 9?
Date   Thu, 25 May 2006 13:38:13 +0100

I have no more information on this. That
doesn't rule anything out, however.

Jannik Helweg-larsen

About one year ago I noticed the following note from Nick Cox
regarding a possible version 9 rewrite of metan.

Since no news on this subject or any "sandstorm" of questions have
appeared, I dare to ask:

Is there still hope for a new metan version??

Nick Cox

I am aware of a project by someone, not the original
authors and not myself, to re-write -metan-
for current Stata. At a minimum this will involve
porting to Stata 8. I suspect that it would involve
porting to Stata 9.

To say more might raise a small sandstorm of questions
about when will it be released and how it would be
revised, and so forth, and I should say no more,
particularly as the project, when last I heard,
was a strong intention in the mind of the person
concerned.

I will say that the Editors of the Stata Journal
see it as part of their role to encourage this
kind of venture. There are naturally lots of
questions arising when user-written programs
fall out-of-date, usually because the original
authors become too busy or go over to the Dark Side
in some sense.

The state of meta-analysis software in Stata is
very interesting. I have heard it said that, despite
various problems and limitations with what now exists,
Stata remains one of the best vehicles for meta-analysis.

It is striking that this is entirely attributable
to users, except insofar as the language provides the
tools to make it possible, which is entirely attributable
to StataCorp.