st: Meta analysis of subgroups in Stata using the -by- option

From   Vivien L Hendry <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Meta analysis of subgroups in Stata using the -by- option
Date   23 May 2006 18:12:38 +0100

Dear Statalist,

I am trying to perform subgroup analyses within a larger meta analysis of effect sizes (odds ratios). The meta analysis commands appear to have installed successfully (in version 9.2) and all other meta & metan commands are working. The analyse -by variable- option appears to exist as an option in the metan window, but the analysis itself will not run. I keep getting the response that "option by() not allowed r(198)", regardless of whether the commands are given via the pop-up window or typed in directly as -metan abcd, by(variable)-.

Please could you give me some pointers on how to get this command to work? I haven't been able to find information on how to deal with this elsewhere. If not, is anyone aware of an alternative method that I could try, please?

Thank you! I'd appreciate any help you could give me.
Vivien Hendry

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/