Re: st: error with -egen median if-

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: error with -egen median if-
Date   Tue, 23 May 2006 11:01:37 -0500

Alex Ogan ([email protected]) reported a bug with
-if- and literal strings in -egen, median()-.  He then
asked why it has not yet been fixed:
> Why hasn't this been fixed?  Have I done something wrong and failed to
> receive some official updates?  -update ado- reports that my ado files
> are already up to date... Is there some other command that has replaced
> -egen, median()- which I should be using instead?  I can't understand
> why this problem would still exist, five years after the FAQ you
> referenced was posted.

This is the first time of which we are aware that someone has reported
this problem with -egen, median()-.  Sometimes even an official Stata
ado-file written long ago can miss out on an enhancement made in a
newer version of Stata.  The inability of an -if- condition on
-egen, median()- to accept a literal string enclosed in double quotes
is an oversight and will be corrected in the next ado-file update.

--Alan
([email protected])