st: Definition of "outside" in box plots

From   "Jens Lauritsen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Definition of "outside" in box plots
Date   Tue, 23 May 2006 17:59:22 +0200 (CEST)

Definining box plots.

The Tukey definition is
The box shows interquartile range (25-75) with median highlighted. Length
of whiskers are at 1.5* interquartile range

But sometimes in teaching medical professionals I see other definitions,
e.g. that whiskers are the 10th and 90th percentile.

I suggest that when box plot manuals are rewritten add the used definition.

I did not manage to find the definition in any Stata document on how the
"outside" limit definition is in a box plot. But I assume it is the
original Tukey (1.5), since the documentation mentions the Tukey paper as
the origin.

Has anyone else experienced problems with varying understanding of the
definition of box plots ?

Jens Lauritsen
Consultant MD, ph.d. Associate professor
Denmark