Re: st: Two wishes

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Two wishes
Date   Tue, 23 May 2006 14:53:46 +0900

Mark Orr wrote (excerpted):

> I think that Stata loads the dataset into memory in order to allow certain
> efficiencies (e.g., vectorized operations) that wouldn't be possible
> otherwise--i.e., operating on the dataset file one observation at a time.
NO, R CAN DO THIS.

> I'm curious:  does *any* data-management/statistical analysis software
> package load more than one entire dataset in memory at one time?  Maybe
> Raphael meant:  to have more than one dataset file open for manipulation
> at
> a time, such as what SAS does or perhaps what relational database
> management
> systems do.  And, for that matter, you can emulate the same from within
> Stata, using the -odbc- suite of commands and SQL.  Unlike SAS, you
> cannot,
> however, analogously invoke SQL statements on native Stata dataset files.
> But, as Michael mentioned, it's not certain that you would frequently need
> to, given Stata's repertoire of data-management commands.

R, S-PLUS MAKE THIS MUCH SIMPLER.  OF COURSE, I PREFER STATA FOR SOME
WORK, R FOR OTHER WORK.  BOTH HAVE UNIQUE STRENGTHS.

I'm afraid that you lost me as to the meaning of your comments.

I thought that R and S-Plus also load one dataset completely into memory,
just as does Stata, so I'm not sure what you mean by, "No, R can do this."

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by, "R, S-Plus make this much simpler."
What is it in the paragraph above that they make much simpler?  Use of ODBC
application interfaces?

Joseph Coveney