Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: error with -egen median if-

From   "Alex Ogan" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: error with -egen median if-
Date   Mon, 22 May 2006 12:04:11 -0400

Here is a more simple example.  I also should have mentioned I am using
Stata/SE 8.2.

. input numvar str1 strvar

        numvar     strvar
  1. 5
  2. 6 "a"
  3. 7 "b"
  4. end

. egen testsum_1 = sum(numvar)

. egen testmedian_1 = sum(numvar)

. egen testsum_2 = sum(numvar) if strvar=="a"
(2 missing values generated)

. egen testmedian_2 = median(numvar) if strvar=="a"
a not found