st: RE: tsset

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: tsset
Date   Fri, 19 May 2006 18:17:05 +0100

The effect of your -egen, group()- is
to lump all the missings on -county-
and/or -household- together. In cases
where -household- is missing but not
-county-, or vice versa, that throws
away some information.

-egen, group() missing- will do a bit
better.

But the reconstruction of missing data
seems somewhere between difficult and
impossible, on least on the information
you provide.

For example, suppose
you have -county- but not -household-.
There seem two possibilities. The
household is in fact one of the other
households in the same county in
your dataset, or it is not. Do you
have any grounds to say which is correct?

Conversely, suppose you have -household-
but -county-. It may be that your numbering
system will enable you to reconstruct the
-county-.

Finally, suppose you have neither -household-
nor -county-. If there is a method for
imputing, it must be based on the other variables.

Alexander Nervedi