st: RE: Direct standardization

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Direct standardization
Date   Thu, 18 May 2006 16:31:30 +0100

Typically, in Stata, we do direct standardization by weighting each observation with a sampling probability weight equal to the ratio between the frequency of its stratum in the standard population and the frequency of its stratum in the sample. Sampling probabilitiy weights are pweights (see online help for -weight- ), and cause Stata to use Huber variances (also known as robust variances).

I hope this helps.

Roger

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
POSTAL ADDRESS:
National Heart and Lung Institute at Imperial College London
St Mary's Campus
Norfolk Place
London W2 1PG
STREET ADDRESS:
National Heart and Lung Institute at Imperial College London
47 Praed Street
Paddington
London W1 1NR
TELEPHONE: (+44) 020 7594 0939