Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Creation of a pay levels variable

From   peter harper <>
Subject   st: Creation of a pay levels variable
Date   Tue, 16 May 2006 14:42:16 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Statalist
I am working on a cross-section dataset, with different firms and different individuals. How would one generate a variable, pay levels, say, yij which is taken from individual wokers' self reports (across 12 wage bands), and converted into earnings per hour using the reports of hours worked.
I have a variable of weekly pay bands and also a variable for "how many hours, including overtime or extra hours, do you usually work".
I then have to work out the log pay per hour per worker.
 I tried various things but could not figure out the best way to create this variable in Stata. I can manually work it out, but I do not know, how to create this variable in Stata.
Many Thanks in advance