RE: st: RE: formatting for significant figures

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: formatting for significant figures
Date   Wed, 10 May 2006 14:43:27 +0000

Thank you Roger, Nick and Maarten.

Maarten - I was wrong in my reply to you. In fact %09.2g did not do anything different from %9.2g. In my rush to reply, I did not read the footnote in the manual [U] 15.5.1, which would have explained it.

Roger - indeed what I wanted (same as the one that I responded to Maarten).

Nick - that was a good work around for omission of leading zeros, would never have thought about it that way.

Regards,
bw

> Subject: RE: st: RE: formatting for significant figures
> Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 14:47:48 +0100
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
>
> Your wanting to omit leading zeros seems the
> tricky bit.
>
> There may well be a better way, but you
> can fudge this by
>
> . gen rnd = uniform()
> . gen s_rnd = "." + string(round(1000 * rnd), "%04.0f")
> . l rnd s_rnd
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>
> b. water
>
> > Thank you Maarten for your suggestion. This is what I obtained:
> >
> > . format trite %9.2e
> >
> > . l trite in 1/5, clean
> >
> >           trite
> >   1.   4.10e-03
> >   2.   4.75e-03
> >   3.   3.80e-03
> >   4.   4.82e-03
> >   5.   7.83e-03
> >
> > Actually what I wanted was to be able to display like (and I
> > concoct this):
> >
> >  1.   .0041
> >  2.   .0047
> >  3.   .0038
> >  4.   .0048
> >  5.   .0078
> >
> > When I refer back to the manual [U] 15.5, it stated putting
> > an optional 0 to retain leading zeros, so I tried format
> > trite %09.2e, which did not give a different result from what
> > you have given. But when I did %09.2g it did! Problem solved.
>
> [email protected]
>
> > > -format trite %9.2e-
>
> b. water
>
> > Stata 8.2,
> >
> > Is there a way to format numericals results for significant figures. For example:
> >
> > . sysuse auto
> >
> > . gen trite=price/1000000
> >
> > . l trite in 1/10, clean
> >
> >          trite
> >   1.   .004099
> >   2.   .004749
> >   3.   .003799
> >   4.   .004816
> >   5.   .007827
> >   6.   .005788
> >   7.   .004453
> >   8.   .005189
> >   9.   .010372
> >  10.   .004082
> >
> > How can I format trite to display just 2 (or any number in general) significant figures? I looked at [R] Format,  [U] 15.5, help format, searched the list using 'signifcant figures' and Googled 'stata significant figures' but without success. Appreciate advice/help.

Join the next generation of Hotmail and you could win the adventure of a lifetime
http://www.imagine-msn.com/minisites/sweepstakes/mail/register.aspx