RE: Re: st: RE: RE: tabstat: how to save...

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Re: st: RE: RE: tabstat: how to save...
Date   Wed, 10 May 2006 14:19:46 +0000

Thank you Michael for your thoughts.

My approach to applying Stata to my problem is to start using a simple example and a small sample, using what I know of Stata accumulated over time (doing Stata, reading Statalist, manuals) e.g. co-apting lines from here and there to generate my -do- or -ado- to do what I needed to do. This may lead to an unefficient -do- or -ado- codes at times (perhaps all the time) but so long as they worked I would be none the wiser to the fact.

My query regarding -tabstat- approach led Nick to advice me on a better solution. When I used part of what Nick had suggested and got it to work for my purpose, I am quite satisfied with the outcome. Certainly none of my follow-up contained or can be construed as a complaint (or even remotely meant as a complaint) that this and that instructions did not work. If anything Nick's advice provided me with a solution.

In the example of -tabstat-, following earlier instructions to the letter led to a differing conclusions that was highlighted by Kit Baum being attributed to version differences. When I co-apted Nick's alternative suggestions (i.e. -tempname- and -scalar-), tweaking them to work, I assumed that the ` ' issue was a version issue too. I replied out of simple courtesy to acknowledge Nick's help and that everything's 'cool'. I appreciated it even more that Nick warned of the potential pitfalls doing what I have done, pitfalls which I was not aware of. I could leave it at that but that would mean missing an opportunity to learn more about Stata by trying to undertand the pitfalls. So my follow-up contained lines that led me to assume ` ' was a version issue and looking at my follow-ups I did not see any complaint or word to that effect regarding suggestions that did not work. I was therefore quite taken aback by your take of the situation. Perhaps if one can see it as you do, othe
 rs may or will too, so I will bear that in mind.

Regards,
bw

> Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:09:54 -0400
> From: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: st: RE: RE: tabstat: how to save...
> To: [email protected]
>
> You have a remarkable ability to not follow the sound advice you receive and
> then complain about things not working.  If you would just actually use the
> exact code that is posted, you would have far fewer problems.
>
> -tempname- and -local- are two different commands that do different
> hings.  -tempname- will create a local macro that can then be used to name
> objects like scalars.  Please read -help tempname- .
>
> Your line of code -local incidnsum- does nothing -- it assigns nothing to
> the local macro called incidnsum.
>
> Please follow the advice you get from Statalist EXACTLY before you send in
> more follow-up posts about things not working.
>
> Michael Blasnik
> [email protected]

Join the next generation of Hotmail and you could win the adventure of a lifetime
http://www.imagine-msn.com/minisites/sweepstakes/mail/register.aspx