Statalist The Stata Listserver

RE: st: RE: RE: tabstat: how to save...

From   "b. water" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: tabstat: how to save...
Date   Wed, 10 May 2006 12:41:38 +0000

The reason I said what I said is when I did:

. do "C:\DOCUME~1\waterb\LOCALS~1\Temp\STD02000000.tmp"

. local incidnsum

. sum incidn, meanonly

. scalar `incidnsum' =  r(sum)
= invalid name

end of do-file

. help scalar

revealled some example on how to use scalar, where none was put in Stata quotes  ` '. This led me to surmise that it is probably version issue of scalar syntaxes. But on closer look I realised that perhaps you are referring to may lax ( due to ignorance) use of -local- rather -tempname- in my -do- file, and consequently having to use -scalar- without `'. Is this what you meant by your warning? Although I think your warning refers to [P] Macro, I would appreciate if you can direct me to the pertinent reference in the manuals if this is assumption was not correct. Nevertheless, I have used your exact example using -tempname- and -scalar `foosum'-.

> Subject: RE: st: RE: RE: tabstat: how to save...
> Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 12:47:13 +0100
> To:
> No, on this detail you are wrong and version
> is not an issue.
> So long as you follow my example and issue
> tempname foosum
> then after
> su foo, meanonly
> scalar `foosum' = r(sum)
> is as valid as can be.
> You are correct that you can do what
> looks the same thing by
> sum foo, meanonly
> scalar foosum = r(sum)
> but to do that is to live more dangerously.
> If you do this, sooner or later you will
> get burned, or bitten, by use of the same name in
> different programs or use of identical
> or similar names for scalars and variables.
> The problem is aired in the manuals and
> rehearsed once more in a Tip by G. Kolev
> in Stata Journal 6(2), to appear next
> month.
> Nick
> b. water
> > Thank you Nick for your alternative suggestion.
> >
> > In Stata 8.2, scalar `foosum' = r(sum) is an invalid syntax
> > but checking on-line help showed valid syntax as scalar
> > foosum = r(sum). This suggestion worked for my purpose and as
> > you alluded, shorter than tabstat.

Enter the Windows Live Mail beta sweepstakes