Re: st: Reshape problem

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Reshape problem
Date   Fri, 5 May 2006 06:48:03 +0700 (WIT)

In this case, We have to create a routine program because it's not
standard format. Here is the example :

/* Open the datasets */
/* The example here is original.dta that contain :
        +---------------------------------+
     |               v1   v2   v3   v4 |
     |---------------------------------|
  1. |              Sex    M    M    M |
  2. |              Age   47   66   56 |
  3. |         Left eye                |
  4. |        Right eye    Y    Y    Y |
  5. |     Lower eyelid    Y    Y    Y |
  6. |     Upper eyelid                |
  7. |  Lateral canthus                |
  8. |   Medial canthus    Y    Y      |
  9. | Recurrent lesion                |
 10. |   Primary lesion    Y    Y    Y |
     +---------------------------------+

The result of process like this :
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Sex    Age  Left_eye   Right_eye  Lower_eyelid Upper_eyelid
Lateral_canthus Medial_canthus Recurrent_lesion  Primary_lesion |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|   M     47         .           Y             Y            .
 .              Y                .                 |
|   M     66         .           Y             Y            .
 .              Y                .               Y |
|   M     56         .           Y             Y            .
 .                               .               Y |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

*/

use original,clear

/* Fill in the number of variable you have */
/* In this sample, the local numvar is having 4 variables */
/* The result of this process is destination.dta */

local numvar=4

local vartot=_N
local i = 1

while `i' <= `vartot' {
   local j=1

   while `j' <= `numvar' {
      use original in `i',clear
      local varx = v`j'
      local nvar = trim("`varx'"[`j'])
      local varv = "`varx'"

      drop _all

      if `j'==1 {
         if `i'>1 {
             use destination,clear
         }
         local varname = subinstr("`nvar'"," ","_",1)
         qui gen  `varname'=""
      }
      else {
         local obs=`j'-1