st: RE: saving tabstat results

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: saving tabstat results
Date   Thu, 4 May 2006 18:02:48 +0100

On the last detail, note that -tabexport-
is not a wrapper for -tabstat-. It is
a wrapper for -collapse-, as the help
emphasises.

-tabstat- and -collapse- have different views
on aweights.

. sysuse auto, clear

. tabstat mpg [aweight=w], by(foreign) stats(sum)

Summary for variables: mpg
     by categories of: foreign (Car type)

 foreign |       sum
---------+----------
Domestic |   3272600
 Foreign |   1221120
---------+----------
   Total |   4493720
--------------------

. tabexport mpg [aweight=w] using results.txt , s(sum) by(foreign) replace

     +-----------------------------+
     |  foreign   _stats       mpg |
     |-----------------------------|
  1. | Domestic      sum    986.58 |
  2. |  Foreign      sum   527.275 |
     +-----------------------------+

. collapse (sum) mpg [aweight=w] , by(foreign)

. l

     |  foreign       mpg |
  1. | Domestic    986.58 |
  2. |  Foreign   527.275 |

Exporting -tabstat- results is a little tricky.
You need to get the results into a matrix
and then that matrix into a file.