Re: st: Re: Re: RE: Nonlinear IV estimation in STATA

From   "Elaine Tan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Re: RE: Nonlinear IV estimation in STATA
Date   Tue, 2 May 2006 09:31:10 +0800

Hi Austin, Mark - many thanks for these pointers. I have found out that TSP has various NLIV estimators. Thanks again.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Austin Nichols" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: st: Re: Re: RE: Nonlinear IV estimation in STATA

Elaine--
I believe Mark pointed out that you need two excluded instruments when
you treat P and P^2 as two endogenous variables in a linear
specification. If demand is Q = B(A-P)^2 and you have two excluded
instruments and you're willing to make different assumptions about the
distribution of the error term...
You can estimate Q = a + bP + cP^2 + v
where a=B(A^2) and b=-2AB and c=B right?
So B=(c) and A=(-b/2c).
You can get SEs for A and B via -nlcom- I think.
You can also test whether a=(b^2/4c) to see if your model fits the
data (interpret a rejection as E(v)!=0 if you like).
I guess you want Q=0 whenever (A-P)<0 too, but I don't think the log
fixes that particular problem for you.