RE: st: Spatial lag models

From   Kate Ivanova <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Spatial lag models
Date   Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:58:07 -0800

I have a follow-up question concerning the -spatreg- command and
non-symmetric spatial weights matrices and would be very obliged for any
help on this.

I use -geneigen- command to generate an N by 4 matrix of eigenvalues
(containing the modulus, imaginary part, real part and cumulated modulus)
for my non-symmetric spatial weights matrix. I then indicate the name of
this N by 4 matrix in the brackets following the eigenval option in
_spatreg_. The command works and I get a table of results on my screen but I
am not sure whether the computation is done correctly since -spatreg- is
designed to be used with symmetric weights matrixes that produce an N by 1
matrix of eigenvalues. I am also not sure whether I should use all four
columns (i.e., modulus, imaginary, real or cumulated modulus) or only some
of them.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kate

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Kate Ivanova
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 4:49 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: Spatial lag models

Thank you very much, Nick and Kit, for your replies. I really appreciate
your help.

As for the theory on spatial models and panel data, Anselin in his book
"Spatial Econometrics: methods and models" (1988), for example, suggests the
spatial Seemingly Unrelated Regression (SUR) model that consists of an
equation for each time period which is estimated for a cross-section of
spatial units (coefficients vary for each time period but are constant
across space). But I guess there aren't any tools in Stata yet to estimate
such models.

Thanks again!

Kate