st: RE: Re: Two way Fixed Effects & Autocorrelation& Heteroskedasticity

Subject   st: RE: Re: Two way Fixed Effects & Autocorrelation& Heteroskedasticity
Date   Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:44:26 +0100

Max, Rodrigo,

Just a brief addendum to Rodrigo's 4th option:

<snip>

> (4) A way to solve the problem without a lag dependent
> variable is using a standard error correction that takes care
> of the behavior of the error term but does not change the
> Least Square estimation of the parameters. You can use
> -newey- with manually fixed effect, but you have adjust the
> degree of freedom (I wrote a command for that I can send you
> if you are interesting).

-xtivreg2- will do this.  The fixed effects are handled automatically,
as is the dof adjustment.  However, you need respectable number of
periods for this to work, since the asymptotics require t to go to
infinity.  The alternative is cluster-robust standard errors, which are
robust to arbitrary autocorrelation and which will work with any number
of periods (since the asymptotics require only the number of cross
sections to go to infinity).  -xivreg2- will do this too.  -findit
xtivreg2- will find it for you.

Cheers,
Mark