Re: st: RE: constructing an unbalanced panel data set based on existing

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: constructing an unbalanced panel data set based on existing
Date   Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:29:33 +0100

This example affords amusement at various levels.

First, only earlier today I posted

gen length = end - beg + 1
expand length
bysort Persnr beg: gen month = beg[1] + _n - 1
drop length

as an answer to a question to Anna Manzoni. In
its main feature, this is the same problem,
but no one seemed to notice.

Second, the laugh is also on me. Alex's elegant
solution underlines that my code was twice as
long as it should have been, as

expand end - beg + 1
bysort Persnr beg: gen month = beg[1] + _n - 1

would have been enough.

(That said, a composite id plus year variable
will not be the way to define a panel dataset.)

Ronnie Babigumira

> Im laughing at myself for what I posted before

Alex Ogan

> expand ((End - Start) + 1)
> bysort ID: gen IDyear = string(ID) + string(Start + _n - 1)

Arik