Re: st: 64-bit Windows vs Linux

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: 64-bit Windows vs Linux
Date   Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:01:15 +0800

On 3/28/06, K Ssdjk <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for the response. My question was comparing the performance stata
> under the two OS, something the FAQ does not address (at least that I could
> find). So I am interested in hearing about anyone's pratical experience
> comparing Linux and 64-bit Win

This is a topic that has cropped up occasionally from time to time on
statalist over the past year (or so).  A search of the archives (hint)
leads to some potentially intesting threads (although I've not read
them to see if they answer your questions).

Try the following URL (which is simply post-search of the archives)....

http://www.stata.com/slsearch.cgi?q=64-bit+linux&t=statalist&ps=20&np=2

You may wish to vary the search terms your using though.

One thing to note is that it is my understanding that current windows
OS's can only allocate a maximum of 2Gb of physical RAM to any one
application.  This problem does not occur under *NIX systems.

Also note that there are a number of Linux distributions that support
the 64-bit architechture (if you want a really fast system, custom
compiled to your processor arch then check out http://www.gentoo.org/,
althought his will NOT influence the speed of Stata since it is
pre-compiled prior to installation on your system).

Further information on the type of data sets would probably be useful
for those who might answer such as whether you will be working with
large data sets, or just lots of number crunching.

> Re: problems with 64 bit Win: I had read that 64-bit win either runs 32-bit
> programs more slowly or not at all. I have no experience with it myself so I
> do not know this to be true.

try your favourite search engine and see if there is any more
information forthcoming.

HTH's

Neil
--
"The best safety device in climbing is always situated between your
ears" - Ross Weiter, Perth Rock Climbing Guide (2002)

Email - [email protected] / [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/
Blog - http://slack---line.blogspot.com/
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/slackline/