st: RE: RE: Installing -matodd-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Installing -matodd-
Date   Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:15:37 +0100

For fuller understanding, recall that SSC and -ssc- have different histories.

The SSC archive goes back about a decade. There are various ways by which
people can install stuff from SSC on their machines, but the "proper" way
to do it is through -net install-.

As I understand it, -adoupdate- depends on people having used -net install-
to install packages, although they might have done this unknowingly.

The standard advice since late 2001 is to use -ssc- to install from SSC,
if you can. This advice is not contradictory: -ssc- does several things,
but that most relevant here is that it calls up -net install- to install
packages.

Similarly, before 2001 there was an -archinst- program from Kit Baum
and myself which was another wrapper for -net install-. That was absorbed
in and superseded by -ssc- when -ssc- was added to Stata as an official
command.

Nick Cox