RE: st: creating bar charts

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: creating bar charts
Date   Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:19:16 +0100

I answered the previous questions on Friday.

. graph bar (asis) SexRatio if race==1 SexRatio if race==2, over(age)

is just illegal, as you can't have two separate -if- conditions
and you can't split a variable list with an -if- condition.
So it violates the syntax specified in the help.

A more interesting point is that the problems Scott compares
are not of the same form.

Every station has a January and a July temperature in the
dataset referred to. But every group is one race or the other, and not both.

You could see your way to separate variables easily by using -separate-;
that's what -separate- is for. But I still don't think -graph bar- would cough up
as it is expecting a different data structure.

The underlying issue is that -graph bar- is not as general as users would
like it to be. You'd think that it was a way of drawing every bar graph
known to man, woman or cyborg. Ha! Wrong. As has often been stressed on
this list, there can come a point when you need to back out and try -twoway
bar- instead. That really is pretty much as general as you would like to be.

-textbarplot- recently posted on SSC offers an easy wrapper for that.