RE: st: RE: RE: Can you get sign of value only?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: Can you get sign of value only?
Date   Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:19:42 -0000

Sorry to quibble, but

(y / abs(y)) is _not_ a good substitute for sign(y)

as 0 / abs(0) will get evaluated as missing. You
know that it should be zero, but Stata's working
on more general rules and doesn't have the mathematical
horse sense that you possess.

So even if in your case 0 doesn't occur,
in other instances you will get bitten by using this.

A cuter definition that works well in the case of
positive, zero and negative numbers is that

sign(y) = (y > 0) - (y < 0)

I suspect this goes back to Kenneth E. Iverson,
principal architect of APL and J, circa 1960.

Danielle H Ferry