Re: st: RE: coding for failure year

From   M Hollis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: coding for failure year
Date   Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:07:28 -0800 (PST)

I must admit that I'm still a little puzzled about
what you're trying to do. You seem to be throwing out
failyr data and your new failure criteria is
disappearance from the data.

Regardless, I think there is an easier version of your
solution.  If you're using unbalanced panel data the
by and bysort commands will save you a lot of
headaches:

bysort orgnr (year): gen failure=_n==_N

and if you don't want observations marked as failures
if the year is 2002 or if there is no reason for
failure, use instead:

bysort orgnr (year): gen failure=_n==_N & year~=2002 &
failreas~=.