st: Re:

From   "Arne Risa Hole" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re:
Date   Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:20:26 +0000

Hi Paolo,

You can try the following code:

use http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec-p/data/hayashi/griliches76.dta, clear
qui regress iq med kww expr tenure rns smsa
predict double iq_hat
qui regress s med kww expr tenure rns smsa
predict double s_hat
qui regress lw iq_hat s_hat expr tenure rns smsa
replace iq_hat = iq
replace s_hat = s
predict double res, residual
gen double res2 = res^2
qui sum res2
scalar iv_mse = r(mean)*r(N)/e(df_r)
matrix b = e(b)
matrix V = e(V)*(iv_mse/e(rmse)^2)
ereturn post b V
ereturn display

This replicates:

ivreg lw expr tenure rns smsa (iq s=med kww)

If you want to remove some of the instruments simply drop them from
the first stage regressions. Note that not using all the exogenous
variables as instruments is probably not a good idea - see
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/ivreg.html.

Cheers,
Arne