Re: st: reshaping problem: unique values in other variables

From   Philip Ryan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: reshaping problem: unique values in other variables
Date   Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:21:08 +1030

Use 2 calls to -reshape- ensuring that at each call, the value of the variables is unique within the identifier, or, here, set of identifiers, specified in the i() option :

. li, clean

id dset rec med afev wheeze cough
1. 2 b 1 0 -9 0 0
2. 2 b 2 1 -9 0 0
3. 2 a 1 1 1.7 0 0
4. 2 a 2 0 1.8 0 0
5. 6 b 1 1 -9 0 1
6. 6 b 2 1 -9 0 0
7. 6 a 1 0 2.08 0 1
8. 6 a 2 0 1.85 0 0

. reshape wide med afev wheeze cough, i(id rec) j(dset) string

* note variable dset is a string, hence the string option is specified
* note sneaky use of two identifiers whose conjunction _for the subobservation now defined by drec_ yields unique values for med, afev etc

. list, clean

id rec meda afeva wheezea cougha medb afevb wheezeb coughb
1. 2 1 1 1.7 0 0 0 -9 0 0
2. 2 2 0 1.8 0 0 1 -9 0 0
3. 6 1 0 2.08 0 1 1 -9 0 1
4. 6 2 0 1.85 0 0 1 -9 0 0

. reshape wide med* afev* wheeze* cough*, i(id ) j(rec)

. list id med* af* wh*, clean

id meda1 medb1 meda2 medb2 afeva1 afevb1 afeva2 afevb2 wheezea1 wheezeb1 wheezea2 wheezeb2
1. 2 1 0 0 1 1.7 -9 1.8 -9 0 0 0 0
2. 6 0 1 0 1 2.08 -9 1.85 -9 0 0 0 0

(where for clarity I have left out listing some of the variables because of ugly line-wrapping, at least on my screen)

Phil

.