st: Re: Using local variables in the name of a global variable

Subject   st: Re: Using local variables in the name of a global variable
Date   Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:25:50 -0500

You need to reference the global macro name using brackets to make it clear to Stata what you want:

di "${gooddaysY`y'M`m'}"

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- "Danielle H. Ferry" <[email protected]> wrote:

I want to define a global variable whose name contains 2 local variables (b/c
I am creating it w/in nested loops over year & month):

forval y = 1980(1)2006 {
forval m = 1(1)12 {
global gooddaysY`y'M`m' = "stuff"
di "$gooddaysY`y'M`m'"
}
}

Suppose we are in the y = 1980 & m = 1 loop. Then the result of the -display-
is: 1980M1. I am guessing this has something to do w/ the quotes. But I don't
know how to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Danielle Ferry