st: Re: Writing out Names with special signs or words

Subject   st: Re: Writing out Names with special signs or words
Date   Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:07:48 -0500

The macval() function may help in stopping Stata from trying to expand the problem characters as macros. See -help macro- (I don't see anything under help macval())

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]

----- Original Message ----- "Akihito Tokuhara" <[email protected]> wrote

I have some trouble trying to write out the names into a separate text file,
not writing in log file. I use the command filewrite, etc. without problem.

But the names may have idiosyncratic signs, or sub-words which Stata interprets
as (probably) built-in related commands or , such as "divident", "series", "PIF", etc.
<snip> Problem 1: Sometimes, a single quote. like in #1, 15, 17, 27, 30 as in list above,
causes Stata to stop.

Problem 2: Some words, like Series, divdent or PIF (see # 31, 32 and 33 above)
gives error message as "option not allowed".

I tried many combinations of double quotes, but still cannot write out those names.
If I use command "outfile", then all names are written out as is.

Is there any way to do it with command "file write" ?

Thanks in advance.

Akihito Tokuhara