st: -spautoc- updated on SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -spautoc- updated on SSC
Date   Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:24:57 -0000

Thanks to Kit Baum, a -spautoc- package on SSC has been
updated.

-spautoc- calculates spatial autocorrelation, specifically Moran
and Geary measures, given a spatial variable and neighbourhood
information. Optionally numeric weights may be specified
reflecting e.g. distance between locations. The package contains,
as well as the main command -spautoc-, utilities -dupneigh-,
-neigh- and -numids- to help setting up neighbourhood and
weight information in the required way.

These programs all require Stata 8.

The earlier versions for Stata 5 (!) are also included:
all such files have suffix 5 to the main part of the
filename.

If you are interested in this field, you should also look
at

STB-60  sg162 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Tools for spatial data analysis
        (help spatcorr, spatreg, spatgsa, spatlsa if installed) . .  M. Pisati
        3/01    pp.21--37; STB Reprints Vol 10, pp.277--298
        commands for spatial data analysis including spatial (global
        or local) autocorrelation, spatial correlogram, spatial lag
        and spatial error regression, and tests for spatial dependence

Oddly enough, I have not yet looked in detail at Maurizio's
programs. My programs did what I wanted them to do when I first
wrote them in 1997, and as I use them in teaching and get
occasional queries about them I decided to refresh the package.